Table of Contents
1 – Events and Initiatives
View the Indigenous tag in our Events Blog for highlights from WWR and our partners.
2 – People
Lois Macdonald — Program Elder
Lois Macdonald holds the role of Program Elder with Wellbeing Waterloo Region and is from Missanbie Cree First Nation. The Elder position carries the responsibility to ensure the WWR community remembers that we all have a shared responsibility where everyone is welcome and can belong.
First Nations, Métis, Inuit Advisory and Advocacy Circle
In collaboration with Indigenous leaders, the First Nations, Métis, Inuit Advisory and Advocacy Circle implements training, education, and tools to the working groups of WWR on Indigenous culture, history, and the impacts of colonization, while providing opportunities for reflection on how to work towards reconciliation.
3 – Documents Repository
This document is one of Wellbeing Waterloo Region’s “living” (ever-changing) resources and tools to support education on acknowledging the land upon which we conduct ourselves with our community partners.
Indigenous Community Consultations
The purpose of the Indigenous Community Consultations report is to provide an overview of the issues and calls to action identified through the one-to-one meetings with Indigenous leaders and allies.
Indigenous Community Consultations Report (PDF report)
This document outlines some of the many traditional medicines used in Indigenous cultures, which may vary from Nation to Nation. Traditional medicine can integrate mental, physical, spiritual and emotional well being.
4 – Resources
Indigenous Focused Services
- List of Wellbeing Resources for First Nations, Metis, and Inuit Residents of Waterloo Region
- Reconciliation and Canada’s overdose crisis: responding to the needs of Indigenous Peoples
- Truth and Reconciliation Commission Reports
- United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples
- The Urban Indigenous Action Plan
- Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women and Girls – National Inquiry Documents
- First Nations Mental Wellness Continuum Framework – Summary Report
- Indigenous Allyship: An Overview
- Understanding the History of the Indian Act
- Things You May Not Have Known About the Indian Act
- Defining “Rule of Law” in Canadian Law